Welcome to downtown commonsSustainable Community Living
Ask about our Holiday special. Limited time offer!
ABOUT DOWNTOWN COMMONS
UWCRC is a non-profit organization focusing on building sustainable communities – communities committed to connecting people with each other.
With a mixed income mandate, the Downtown Commons provides an opportunity for creating a community with a wide-cross section of people from different cultural, economic and social backgrounds; it is a place built to respect and facilitate the diverse needs of people. There are 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments designed to support family living. The Downtown Commons will provide housing options to support the increasing interest of “new-urbanites” who want affordable options to live downtown and raise a family/go to school/work. A sustainable community that allows you to live where you work!
The Affordable Housing Program offered at the Downtown Commons will have suites with affordable rents designated for UWinnipeg student couples or student family households. The remaining will be offered to the community at large at market rents.
- A modern 14 story “green” residential tower designed by LM Architectural Group
- Ideally located in the heart of downtown close to the intersection of Portage Avenue and Memorial Boulevard, right beside the Winnipeg Art Gallery and across the street from the University of Winnipeg and The Bay
- Walking distance of several major event centres, restaurants, the U of W, daycares, commercial and retail stores and shops, and civic parks
- Well served by public transportation
- Non-combustible construction, consisting of 8” concrete floors and concrete block and/or acoustically treated walls separating individual apartments
- Quiet and safe apartments starting on the third floor
- A mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments in a variety of sizes and different plan types, providing a range of choices and accommodating a variety of lifestyles
- 18 premium units with upgraded finishes as well as in-suite washer/dryers and balconies
- In response to the U of W’s commitment to the Kyoto Protocol, the building primarily utilizes clean hydro generated electricity for over 90% of its energy consumption requirements, significantly reducing its green-house gas emissions
- The project utilized a “green loan” based upon projected annual operational energy savings compared to a standard apartment design to finance higher energy performance mechanical systems and individual suite energy monitoring
- Located in a dense urban site, the apartment building is close to public transit and uses existing municipal infrastructure
- Covered secure bike cage
- Achieved Power Smart designation from Manitoba Hydro
- An electric car charging station has been provided on-site
- Tenants will have access to a car co-op program on-site
- A public reader board will be mounted in the lobby that will monitor energy usage within the building providing tenants with direct feedback on energy usage for the building
- The second floor is devoted to the use of the tenants to support a vibrant, connected community living
- Stepping off the elevator on the second floor there is an intimate lounge is located with floor to ceiling windows with a terrific urban view of two of Winnipeg’s most iconic buildings – The Winnipeg Art Gallery and The Bay; this lounge is equipped with Wi-Fi
- Behind the lounge is a large multi-purpose room with a kitchen that can host large group events
- Floor to ceiling windows that lead out to an exterior landscaped terrace with covered and open areas will provide both adults and children with a variety of options for casual play and relaxation in a safe contained place
- A meeting room is also located on this floor and has been equipped to accommodate smudging ceremonies
- Large main floor common laundry room